Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Surgery Day

     The day of the laparoscopy hadn't quite dawned when we left the house for the hospital. I had not been allowed to have anything to eat or drink since midnight. Since I know how hard it is for me to go with out water (the minute you tell me I can't have it, it becomes the only thing I think about), I enjoyed a nice long drink of water at about eleven the previous night. I took a nice long hot shower and shaved my legs. I put on loose and comfortable clothing and did not wear makeup.
     When my husband and I arrived at the hospital we were checked in by friendly people, I was given some forms and a nice little name bracelet. I was taken back to the ACC (ambulatory care center). My history was taken and my IV started. The only hump in the road was a need to do my pregnancy test by blood test instead of a urine test. I didn't think it through and used the restroom when I was taken to my room. Since I couldn't drink anything I couldn't produce more urine for the test. After a short time in ACC I was taken back to peri-op. This is the area that you are held before the operation. I met the person from anesthesia and my OR nurse. Anesthesia was very nice to me, very descriptive and very concerned about how I felt. The nurse happened to be a lady that I graduated nursing school with. This was a pleasant surprise. I liked her in school and she was very good to me as a patient. I also had a chance to speak with my physician at this point. This conversation was very comforting to me. Hearing his reassurance that he would take good care of me made me feel much more calm.
     I was then taken back to the OR . I was given a medication called Versed. This medication is a sedative and also makes remembering things difficult. Things became a little patchy for me after the medication was given. When the Versed hits you, you can become quite chatty. I am sure it was amusing for the people who can remember it.I however have to hope that I didn't manage to say anything too embarrassing while I was under that influence. I saw the nurse that would be assisting in the surgery.After that I think I fell asleep but cannot be sure as the Versed makes you able to follow commands but unable to remember doing so. I remember waking up coughing and a male voice saying softly that it was just the medicine as he adjusted the mask on my face.Then the surgery began. I was comfortably asleep, not even a stressful dream to speak of.
     I woke again on the way back to the Peri Op area. I was very sleepy but felt like my bladder was very full. The first thing I heard was a very patient voice telling me I had a catheter and that it was draining my bladder. I didn't feel pain or anxiety on waking but my first catheter was very uncomfortable.When I was able to be aware of the catheter, it didn't bother me quiet as much. After a while of waking up some more I began to feel something like menstrual cramps. They weren't too bothersome for a while, but at some point that feeling changed to pain. I let the nurse know and was given morphine. At this point my doctor came in and spoke with me. He gave me the results of the surgery and assured me that this was good news. Now we had a reason for my trouble conceiving and it wasn't unexplained infertility. He assured me that the surgery went well and to expect a speedy recovery. I was then taken from the Peri Op area and moved back to ACC.
     The entire experience went as smoothly as possible. Every one was very nice to me from the person who checked me in to the volunteer who wheeled me out. I was very pleased with the care I received and for the way my husband was kept informed during and after my surgery. I will post again about recovery. I will also post a separate entry containing tips for preparing for the laparoscopy.
   

No comments: